Saturday, November 29, 2008

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Dear Sisters,

This Thanksgiving was significant in so many different ways. First off, this was my very first major holiday away from home and second, this was my very first Thanksgiving I'd be cooking all by myself. Don't get me wrong, it was very nice and enjoyable, but it just was not the same without you guys there :0(

I am so proud of myself. I really think I deserve a pat on the back and a medal for the dinner I put together :0) Preparing a holiday dinner is very labor intensive and I can't believe I was able to pull it off! I'm hoping one day I will be able to master the art of Mass Cooking for 45+ people just like Mom. Cooking this dinner is just a precursor for me! So anyways, this is what I made for the special occasion:

1. Brined Roasted Turkey
2. Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
3. Broccoli Casserole
4. Baked Mac N Cheese
5. Sweet Potato Casserole
6. Sugar Glazed Carrots
7. Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Stuff I did not make from scratch:
1. The dinner rolls
2. The ham which Bryan brought over
3. Stove Top Cornbread Stuffing
4. Brown Gravy (which came in a package)
Please note: I will attempt to make the stuffing and gravy from scratch next year :0P

Other stuff I made that I did not take pics of:
1. Spinach Garlic Dip served w/ crackers
2. Cheesecake Cups
3. No Bake Oreo Sheet Cake
4. Pumpkin Pie
**I have to stress that the frozen oreo cake was phenomenal! It tasted just like an ice cream cake (and is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper, too) and I will be making this for Archie's birthday next year!

The one thing I ran out of time to make:
1. Apple Crumb Pie (which I will be making tomorrow)

The turkey was out of this world! The white meat was so juicy after bathing in a brine bath (salt and sugar solution) for 24 hours. I soaked the bottom side for the first 12 hours and then flipped it over to soak the breast for another 12 hours. Once you try this method, you'll never cook your turkey any other way!

Mmmmmm, check out our dinner and please click on the pic for a closer look :0) I think Mom would be so proud of me if she was here!

Here are the fellas enjoying their dinner :0)

Here are the rugrats always goofin' around.

Here is our "Happy Family" pic. I have no clue why lil pumpkin is making that face :0P

The kids love Bryan. Archie and I have nick named him B-ryan or B-roni after the show "The Family Guy "

Here's my poor lil girl eating lollipops for dessert because all the ones I made are milk based and because I was unable to make her apple pie :0(

We have PLENTY of leftovers and you know what that means..... I don't have to cook until Monday, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!! I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving!

Love you guys sooooooooooo much,

Joy :0)

P.S- Arlene, please thank Matt for his lil pep talk about cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I think he really calmed my nerves down :0)

7 comments:

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn said...

I can't believe all the food you made !!
Damn girl :-)
I miss you the kids so much, I hope to see you again soon.

Arlene Amo Hopps said...

Wow! I am impressed by your cooking! I had to start cooking. Wish we were there for Thanksgiving. Miss you all! Thanks for posting the pics!

justbecause said...

omg... you are making me HUNGRY!!! i wish i could have been there.... i wanna eat your broccoli casserole..... MmmMm.... thinking of it... and that turkey sounds DELICIOUS.... i'm hungry... i need to eat.

justbecause said...

OH! and this sin't your FIRST time cooking for a big holiday!!

REMEMBER: last Christmas?! you mad all that food for everyone, but no one wanted to come over because we were all shitting and vomitting all over the place?... that was good eats too... i really miss your cooking.. and your experiment nites.... damn i'm hungry rite now...

Hilda said...

Thank you for your visit and kind comment on my blog, Joy. I'm glad you like my pics of Metro Manila. You were born there and never been to the Philippines? Then I hope you can visit sometime soon and go around the country.

Yes, December and January are good months to visit, mainly because of the cooler weather and the fact that the monsoon season's done by then. Avoid April to September, if you can.

Again, thanks. You have a lovely family. I hope you all have a peaceful, prosperous, healthy and happy 2009.

Arlene Amo Hopps said...

Hello! Where are you? When are you going to update this blog????